SCC AGM 2019


Jontin on it

Once again I find myself putting finger to plastic to bring the minutes of our August AGM, held in January. The very peak of a British winter, made great by our simple gathering. In fact it was anything but – more a grandiose collection of inestimable comrades, rotung in girth, long in shaft and stiff in resolution. I will shut up.

MInutes of the AGM for the Soho Cricket Collective
24th January 2019
The Lord’s Tavern


Having decided a quorum was present, the register was:

  1. Philip Richardson – YURI
  2. Malcolm Hercus – MALKOVICH
  3. Jonathan Savitt – JONTIN
  4. Dan Woodhouse – DACHA
  5. Malik Suleman – MALIKOVICH
  6. Stephen Meade – TBC
  7. John Hirst – YANKHEROFF
  8. Dan March – SOLDYA
  9. Pete Brandon – BRANDONOVSKI

No particular order placed.

Absent friends and comrades were toasted – yummy.

MALKOVICH – treasurer commissar

  • There was something of a scare over finance and if we made a big loss – resolved when Chiswick House repaid the £300 they owed us for cancellation last season. However, it was by no means a high profit year.
  • Accounting systems need a good overhaul.
  • Comrade (Now comrade commissar adjutant) Stephen Meade volunteered to help Malkovich with preparation of an online Google spreadsheet for match fees and also membership subs.
  • Yankers wanted it also to encompass some non online payments as we need cash for teas – we all agreed.
  • Membership fees unchanged.

BRANDONOVSKI – Quartermaster commissar

  • 10% of all sales though our cricket store come to us – have there been any and can we have it? Brando to investigate and report back.
  • Yankers mooted the idea of a club gazebo – rejected due to transport issues
  • Yuri mooted club flag – lethargic response, again due to transport of base.
  • All happy with company Serious Cricket – yes.

JONTIN – Captains’ commissar

  • Play fair – maintain the spirit of the game and and drink spirit, during the game. Spread the love.
  • A vice captain must play a role, learn from the captain or teach the captain if the seniority is reversed.
  • More must volunteer to captain.
  • Soldya volunteered forthwith to captain with greater frequency.
  • Jontin: “People like to win. Don’t lose a match to be nice.” to which we mostly all agreed except for Yuri who once again stated that he doesn’t want us to become “a lethal winning machine.” – never fails in leading to raucous laughter.
  • Stephen Mead [my notes are hard to read]:”Bet Ling to captain is to captain. Sorry, Stephen, I had drunk beer.
  • Yuri: [thought, not spoken] Why do I always write the bloody minutes?

YANKHEROFF – Fixtures commissar

  • Fixtures have now been advertised on FaceBook and need to go on blog – Yuri
  • Last year we scheduled 11 and got to play 5 – weather and one other issue
  • Small comms issue admitted to by Yankers in regards to Stoke Row – shit happens
  • Fixture with Top Knockers now replaces the above. They are another roaming team, we all look forward to seeing these Knockers running about the field.
  • Sandon weekender now forward one week.
  • No VCC – they don’t think we are fun. Somewhat of a shame but upon looking at the table, I saw not one tear.
  • All other changes to schedule heartily accepted.
  • Hole is still present on May 5th – offers for oppo?

DACHA – Training commissar

  • AN initial discussion on where the best place for the net sessions was and it seemed that we all still felt Paddington worked well, and that Lord’s for indoor nets was also good.
  • It is important that the SCC try to net together as much as we can and not just net independently. Keep the camaraderie strong.
  • SOLDYA is very keen for a net at Lord’s with a coach and there was a good degree of support for this.
  • Stephen Meade (TBC) introduced the idea of nets at George Abbot school and other private school possibilities. This requires travel to Guildford which put some off, but the idea of sourcing a London school with indoor nets is a good idea.
  • I have an added note saying that DACHA was to look into group training sessions. However, my writing is terrible.
  • Nets in the great outdoors to commence approx’ mid Feb – Brrraaahhh
  • A system of warm-ups before each game – needs to be made essential and is vital to prevent injury for this season.

YURI – comrade commissar premier

  • A new commissar is appointed, STEPHEN MEADE (nickname TBC) whose responsibility will be towards membership, the full details of which will be settled before the season starts.
  • No other changes to the commissariat other than that of Yuri which is detailed below.
  • YANKHEROFF was wondering about new members drinks and when and where?
    • The Lion is mentioned and its upstairs – where is this place?
    • Within first two weeks of March
  • YURI is going to step down as Premier at the end of the very last game in this coming 2019 season. It’s been great but it will also be Yuri’s 10th year.
    • Some debate about if the SCC needs a Premier at all. It seems to run itself, and all commissars know what they have to do.
    • Comrade commissar Stephen Meade made a point that it runs itself so well because of the existence of a Premier.
    • Premier Yuri to write up his list of duties.

Any other business

  • There should be a 10 year anniversary celebration. This could be several dates of course, it’s Yuri’s 10th year of premiering the SCC but the 10 year anniversary itself is 20th August 2010.
  • Twitter needs reactivating – Yuri to pass details to Brando.
  • SOLDYA requests Ben-Romer-Lee gets free membership for 2019 as he didn’t play once and yet paid in 2018 – agreed.
  • MALKOVICH – Can we hire umps and scorers on occasion where there are no village local – Yes, carried.
  • Stephen Meade said something about the “Young lad of Sandon” but I may have dreamt that.
  • YANKERS – Match reports by those who want to write them – if they were there. Also, “Scoring is not boring”.


These minutes are for adding and adjusting by those present at the AGM and should be done so by comments or emails to premier.

Many thanks


Start a Conversation